Thursday, September 1, 2011

Best quilting day EVER!!!

Side view

I quilted my first quilt on a longarm machine today. It was the most incredible quilting experience I have  ever had. I went to Red Red Bobbin, located just outside Brantford, Ontario.  Louise and Jim, the lovely and super kind couple that own Red Red Bobbin were the greatest teachers. As most of you know, I am a totally self-taught quilter (and even sewer, I guess) so I have a lot to learn about the technical aspects of the art. They taught me everything I needed to know to be able to work the longarm on my own...however, it was a lot of information so they helped me every step along the way. 

Robin the Longarm and I (Jim took this photo and emailed it to me minutes later without me even knowing!) 
I was pretty set on just doing some sort of free hand design, maybe some loops and swirls. When I got to the studio though, I soon realized that I might as well try a pantograph. Louise and Jim were able to find one that was exactly how I wanted my design to look and that was going to be okay for a beginner. I am so so so happy with how it turned out. It wasn't easy but I am sure I will improve with practice. Now all that's left is the binding! 

 I highly highly recommend Jim and Louise at Red Red Bobbin. The offer long arm lessons as well as their own quilting services where you can send them the top/back and they will quilt it for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!