Saturday, February 25, 2012

Modern Quilt Guild Habitat Challenge

I'm finally done the Jay McCarroll Habitat Challenge Quilt for the Modern Quilt Guild. The Toronto Modern Quilt Guild had our challenge quilts due in November, but I had been so busy with school I didn't have time to finish the quilt or even attend them meeting. There was no meeting in December and I was sick in January so I am looking forward to brining the quilt with me tomorrow.

At first, I was nervous to work with this fabric because it was very different from the fabrics I tended to pick. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I just wasn't thrilled...however, the fabric definitely grew on me and I am very happy with the end result! I think that the vibrant spectrum of colours with the crisp white worked really well. 

Quilt Front

At first, I was nervous to work with this fabric because it was very different from the fabrics I tended to pick. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I just wasn't thrilled...however, the fabric definitely grew on me and I am very happy with the end result! I think that the vibrant spectrum of colours with the crisp white worked really well. 

Detail on Front

I was originally planning in quilting straight lines all the way down the quilt but then I decided last minute to try something more exciting and new to me. I decided to follow the outlines of each of the shapes and down three sets of outlines for each. In retrospect, I should have done this type of quilting on a smaller quilt (this was a double bed size approx). The large quilt was very difficult to rotate in the machine and I got it stuck under the arm a few times. I loved how the quilting turned out and am hoping it try out a similar style on a baby quilt. Also, there were a few areas that has large unquilted areas because there were no colours shapes there so I just freehanded some interesting shapes, which I think gives a neat effect.

Quilt Back

The back is one-third like the front and two-thirds a printed fabric with birds (I forget the name right now...).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!